front desk best practices for 2018
February 22, 2018
Best Practice Guide: Process for Billing Efficiency
Did you know that approximately half of insurance denials could be avoided at your front desk? By consistantly following a few simple steps, your front desk can have a major impact on the accuracy and timely payments of your insurance claims.
At Time Of Scheduling Visit:
Verify and/or enter Patient Information, Contact Information and Payment Information in the patient's Practice Fusion Profile (see right Column).
24-48 Hours Prior To Visit:
Practice Fusion - Profile
- Date of Birth
- Payer Name
- Plan Name
- Order of Benefits
- Insurance Id
- Group Id
- Relationship to Insured
- Subscriber Information
- Copy from Guarantor
- Verify or Enter
- Subscriber Name
- Subscriber DOB
- Subscriber Gender
- Subscriber SSN
- Check Eligibility and verify benefits including PCP on file via insurance portals or Availity, Phone IVR or Representative
- If referral, verify authorization number on file is valid for DOS, CPT, Dx, and # of visits.
- Notify patient of copay, co-insurance, deductible and any outstanding balance at time of appointment reminder.
When Patient Arrives:
- Scan and/or verify insurance card (front and back) and ID is in the patient's documents in Practice Fusion.
- Verify Patient Demographics and Insurance information is up to date.
- Check Eligibility and verify benefits including PCP on file
- Must be obtained prior to services being rendered
- Auth #
- DOS must be within the to and from date of auth
- CPT codes and Dx codes must match auth
- if Dx changes during service being rendered, call payer to update auth
- Collect copay, coinsurance, deductible and any outstanding balance for the patient.
- Record payments within the Superbill or on the daily Payment Log
At End of Day Send Information to your Dedicated MDinTouch kFax number
- Daily Payment Log
- Include any patients that are no shows that you would like billed
- Authorizations & Referrals
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to us.
If you would like to learn more, see MDinTouch's Medical Billing Service and Pricing